Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Roasting Marshmallows on a Volcano


So, this has officially been an exciting and unpredictable trip. To date, there have been three earthquakes since I’ve been here (which is a weekly thing in Guatemala) and this past weekend we successfully climbed Pacaya volcano. I won’t lie, during that intense 2 hour hike I just kept thinking over and over again that we actually better be able to see real lava. I mean the oozing, red lava that you can imagine gushing over the side of a volcano, and especially because Mary packed a big bag of marshmallows to roast up at the top. Well, we did see lava, and it was completely worth the effort. The marshmallow was absolutely delicious and hilarious at the time. This past weekend would have been May 24 weekend at home, so as I took fun pictures with Joelle and our mallows, I thought of all my friends gathered around a campfire at a cottage doing the same thing. I think it’s fair to say that my experience was a little more unique. One for the memories, that’s for sure. The only bad part, it was actually so hot that my new running shoes melted while we were up there! I guess picturing that can give you a great idea of just how hot it was.

After that we headed on to the black sand beach at Monterrico and stayed at the best little spot, Café de Sol. It was like having our own private hotel and beach to lounge at for the weekend. After a week of hard work and more physical labour at Open Windows, it felt amazing to jump into a pool and just relax.

I think my team could agree that so far this trip has been the perfect amount of work and play.

Hasta Luego,

Heather

No comments: