Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Last Week of Work!


Our time in Antigua just flew by. I don’t think any of us can believe that we have completed our work here and are packing up to tour around the country for one more week. It’s an exciting feeling to be done, but at the same time I don’t think I’m ready to part with this place or the people. Somehow, I feel like Open Windows has become sort of like a family for me in Guatemala, and it will seem odd when our bus driver doesn’t pick us up for work in the morning or my few favourite kids at the library don’t ask me how I am doing or when we are going to go play soccer.

In the end, I’m proud to say that our project was a success. After weeks of painting, cleaning, helping to build and teaching, I can say that every one of us poured our heart into the experience because of the thought of making the lives of those kids better.

The library looks amazing after we attacked every wall we could find with paint. When you come down the street, you can’t help but notice the library first now after we painted it the happiest and brightest yellow you can find. I swear, I may go crazy if I’m in another yellow room though (it was the colour Teresa wanted for almost all of the library). Anyway, I’m happy that the kids have a bright, clean and safe place to learn and play.

I know that the kids were sad to see us leave and not have us around for soccer practice, music lessons and all of the other activities we participated in, but my hope is that our efforts were sustainable. I hope that the older students and even some future volunteers will be able to pick up where we left off and keep these kids active and having fun.


Hasta Luego,

Heather

No comments: