Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 2011: Thank you to the Site 1 Workers

Dear Site 1 workers,

As site 1 team leader I have to say I got lucky. We had a first rate mason in William, excellent translation by Sheila, a hard working family headed by Don Hugo, and best of all for me all a talented team of workers able to pick up the ball and play a game that was new to all of us.

I enjoyed my day off in Antigua, trips to other sites with Teresa, and another trip to town by Chicken Bus with Brian, all thanks you picking up the slack and not making me feel guilty. I could see that the site was well managed if I just stayed out of the way.

We can feel proud of our work and with the benefit of hindsight I think the family will be grateful that William held on to his high standards despite being overwhelmed at first by eager but inexperienced strangers. We were also able to give our family some extras, which included more space inside, a shower and toilet (hopefully finished by now), an additional window, some unexpected furnishings, and a workable plan for the kitchen area.

Thankfully the fence blew over with a little help from our excavation, providing crucial space needed to store materials. The neighbor's generosity in agreeing to the temporary use of his property I think made the whole project more relaxing and enjoyable for everyone.

I look forward to Teresa sending photos of the finished home.

Best wishes to all.

John Vanstone
DWC Participant

No comments: